Wednesday, December 11, 2013

December 11: Peggy Fistmas and Trimming the Tree

Over the years I have thought a lot about what traditions I want to keep from my childhood Christmas and what traditions I am happy to see go by the wayside. Some many years ago my older sister was explaining to her then 4 year old son why different families did different things around the winter holidays. She said there were some things about Christmas that she really liked and other things that she didn't like as much. She explained that the things she liked were generally Pagan Christmas things. My nephew proceeded to spend the rest of the holiday season asking if this or that were Peggy Fistmas. In my family we still greet each other with a rousing Merry Peggy Fistmas :)

Of the traditions I have kept my favorite is the Christmas tree. It is truly Peggy Fistmas as there ain't nothing in the Bible about no fir tree in the barn. Christmas trees are a wonderful, ancient tradition of sympathetic magic. During these dark and cold times we bring a tree that is still green (!) into our houses, decorate it with lights and shiny objects and put presents under it.
By completing these acts we are hoping that whoever is in charge of the trees outside will do the same - keep them green, decorate them and bring us gifts. It is, after all, only a couple dozen more weeks until spring!

 Does your family put up a Christmas tree? Do you have special ornaments that it just wouldn't be Christmas without? Do you prefer Peggy Fistmas Christmas or some other kind of Christmas?

Christmas Carol: O Tannenbaum

The music to this carol is based on a German folk song and the original words contrasted the fir tree's ever green needles with an unfaithful lover. It wasn't until the 20th century that the English lyrics became associated with Christmas. Now that's Peggy Fistmas if I ever saw it! My favorite version is an instrumental version by the Canadian Brass, arranged like a fugue. Festive, without being overbearing. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment